Monday, February 06, 2012

Birds in the Colony and a lament.

I am not going to spend a lot of time on this post. The main purpose of this post is two-fold:
  1. To boast about the birdlife that you get to see in this colony. 
  2. To lament the lens I have (and probably, my technique).  
So without much ado, I present to you the:

Indian Cuckoo (Koel) - Female
White Throated Kingfisher

Magpie Robin
Magpie Robin
Magpie Robin
Magpie Robin

I used a 70-300mm Nikkor G lens (the cheap one) for getting these pictures. As you can see, they are just about passable. Considering ofcourse that the lens has limited reach and that birds are a tricky subject to shoot. The lens does not have VR and as all shots were handheld, there is bound to be some blur. Add to that the fact that I had to crop the image. Now the reason I have so many of the Magpie Robin shots is that I could get into position (not very good I am afraid) and that the birds figured out that there was nothing to fear from me. So this part of the technique I am getting close to. But even then I am not close enough. The 70-300 that I have does have serious limitations. Which is why I am considering putting some serious money down on a good lens.

So which lens should I buy? I am currently evaluating the following lenses:

  1. Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - good reviews, but I have heard that is pretty soft at 500mm. 
  2. Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED - with a teleconverter to follow. I know it does not have VR, but then it is f4 which is one stop faster than the 70-300mm that I have at the moment. With a 1.4x teleconverter this will go down to f5.6, but then its effective focal length will go upto 420mm (or 630mm in DX terms).

The cost of these lenses is in the INR 60,000-65,000 range. As with all things that are way beyond reach, I yearn to have these lenses one day:


and this



However I do know that these lenses are way above what I can think of (INR 300,000-INR 600,000 range). But then what is the harm in dreaming? Heh heh.

2 comments:

Bernard Solomon said...

There is some problem with blogger owing to which the pictures in this post disappeared for a while. I am trying to get to grips with being in a purely Linux environment; a lot things one takes for granted in a Windows environment do not happen in Linux. More on that too a bit later.

Bernard Solomon said...

I figured out the issue with Picasa. The uploader for Blogger hangs and if you close it the images do not get saved. What you would have to do is the following:

1. Upload the pictures to a Picasa Album
2. While in compose mode in Blogger choose the 'Insert Picture' option
3. Choose the option pertaining to Picasa Web Album

and voila ...